Thursday, September 21, 2006

Celebrate

10 years since this picture, which was taken around our 20th wedding anniversary. Where has the time gone?

I was trying to remember little things about the actual ceremony. I don't even know what time it was, or if we ate anything at all that day. I do know that all we had at the reception was cake and mints and nuts. But where the mints homemade or not.

I remember going to buy my wedding dress. Mom had made both of the other girls, and I thought she would make mine. But she had been so sick earlier in the year (we almost lost her) she didn't want to try it. I knew what I wanted my dress to look like. They had the perfect dress, but for some reason I don't even remember I didn't try it on. I ended up with a different dress. One I really didn't like, but mom did.

I made one of the bridesmaids dresses, but when it came time to put the zipper in, I chickened out. Mom was still not steady enough on the sewing machine to do it, so she sewed it in by hand.

Our cake had a banana nut top layer that we ate on our first wedding anniversary. I don't know if the rest was chocolate or vanilla or what. I wanted my sister-in-law to sing at our wedding, but instead we had one of the other members of our small branch sing "Annie's song" (John Denver). We were married by our bishop, whose name was Tom Jones.

We invited family and a few friends to the actual ceremony and then later we had the reception, I think we invited the whole community (of course, that would only be about 350 people). Abe's best friend and his whole family were there. Several of my aunt's and uncle's came from all over the country. One of my uncles was a professional photographer, so he took the pictures.

The invitation we chose had a picture of a flower on it, with the inscription "Love is the flower, marriage is the fruit." This was because my dad explained plants in almost that same way. It made me think of him and his wisdom.

Now so many years later and I am so glad that regardless of the ups and downs, we have made it this far. When we spend time alone together we relish every minute. We love our family, but the main thing is that we love each other so much more than we did then. He IS my very best friend.

6 comments:

Pen-nut said...

So, is it your anniversary?? If so, congratulations. I remember you coming to visit us when we were first married and you had been married I think 15 years. I remember thinking that's a long time, no it doesn't seem like anything.

abeNanna said...

We just celebrated 30 years on Monday.

Pen-nut said...

Congrats!! That's wonderful.

purplelurple said...

I am glad for the example you have set for me and G. I hope we can also make it to 30 years and still be best friends. Thank you so much for your example. And congratulations!

lvh said...

What I remember is that John had to have his appendix out 5 days before your wedding and I was supposed to play the piano. I thought I was going to have to cancel but he decided he could make it through the wedding (as long as he could wear his wranglers) so we were able to be there. I had gotten about 5 hours sleep the whole week I think. Remember the Apple Clock someone gave you for your wedding - I only remember it because I have a picture of Suzy in front of your truck holding the clock up in front of her face. Can't believe it's been 30 years already - it seems like I'd been married forever when you got married - instead it hadn't even been 8 years.

Anonymous said...

Wow, geesh- You are so- like OLD.
Glad you and dad have been hitched for 30 years! It really gives me hope that Will and I can make it even through our differences.
Give dad a biggo kiss from us. Happy Anniversary (even if we are a week late.) And PLEASE get rid of that AWFUL picture, LOL.